Sep 3, 2010

Point & Shoot or DSLR?

Okay, so the debate has been going on in my head for over 2 weeks now, I don't know whether I should get my self a Point & Shoot camera, which is cheap and easy to use, or an DSLR (Digital Single Lens Reflex), which is way more flexible but also way more costly. DSLR's are completely ideal and feature huge sensors that capture way more than Point&Shoots... but... anyway, looking back...

I used to have a Point & Shoot Kodak EasyShare 7MP (can't remember the model), which was very basic. Did the shooting I wanted at the time but it's night shots (without flash) were hard to work with.

It's not bad but it's not very proffesional. I don't think a Feel the Void photoshoot would go well if I should up with this thing.
So in the mean time I've been using my partner's DSLR, a Canon EOS 400D, which is also pretty good!



My pal was going to get me a Nikon D60, but it cost 54k for the kit which comes with a 18-55mm lens, which is the standard size with not-so-good zoom. But it meant I can buy various lenses (at about the same price as the camera).

What a HOT camera! The only prob is that although I can get that cash, it's usability is limited unless I can find a better lens than the 18-55mm lens. Also it doesn't have live-view (viewing from the screen while taking photos) or video recording (which is optional, but I only said this because of the next camera).

As my surfing and hunting continued, I stumbled upon this bad-boy:

The Sony CyberShot DSC-HX1. Wow, this thing is just awesome!
It's not so new, released in 2009 or 2008, and it's a point and shoot, but with DSLR functions. In other words, it's an SLR with a fixed lens. But a bad-ass lens at that.
It features 20x optical zoom, comparable to a 51-640mm lens, which is WAY higher than the 18-55mm. And that's OPTICAL! Keep in mind most cameras say 20x but in small print it'll say (10x Optical, 20x Digital), and all digital does is use software to enlarge what the sensor is capturing which increases noise and reduces clarity.
On top of that it features 1080p HD recording (with sound) at 30fps (like an ordinary vid-cam), has all those fancy aperture-priority and shutter-priority and manual modes, it also includes the fancy Sweep Panorama they've been advertising lately in town. The bugga also features some very cool anti-shake stuff and takes some very nice night photos with the very special twilight mode, rechargable battery and it's also quite small compared to the average DSLR...
Check out this guy's review and the awesome shots he got:


And with all this, I figured the price would be hectic, but it only costs 35k!!! WOW! Right now I'm really psyched and can't think of another camera that tops this one (dpreview says the Canon Powershot SX1 and Panasonic Lumix ZM... something... but they don't seem to rack up high with them)

So what's the prob?

Well, we just recently got an Xbox 360 (last month) and, well, it cost about the same plus extra pads and what not, and now only a month later I find it difficult to see how I'm convincing the folks to pull this one out for me...
But the hustle continues. Though if anyone out there is willing to buy it for me, seeing as my birthday is 2 weeks from now.......

No comments :

Post a Comment