Having issues using your EOS Utility application on Windows 8? Here's the solution.
I use a Canon EOS 650D and whenever I connected it to my Windows 8 PC (x64), EOS Utility would not pick up on it and all options would remain grayed out and disabled. This problem is also reported on the EOS 7D and 5D.
To fix this problem is pretty simple.
- Go to the Canon Support Page here.
- Select your camera. I'm going to select the 650D.
- On the next page, check out the numbered links below for news on your camera. Might find something important. I just learnt there's a problem with 650D's producing a white irritating substance on the grip over time, luckily their check system said my camera is not affected.
- Click on "Downloads" at the top.
- Select "Software (drivers and applications)", your operating system and select a language.
- Down below, you'll find "EOS Utility 2.12.3" (at least, at the time of this post, it may be higher).
- Read the disclaimer, then click "Accept & Download" if you accept. The download will begin.
- Install the program as you would any other program. If you already have a previous version of EOS Utility, you can proceed with installing and it will update.
- Enjoy using your EOS Utility!
- Remember to check back every few months for new updates to the software.
The real problem was that the previous versions of EOS Utility are not compatible with Windows 8. Since the software on the disk was written before Windows 8 came out, you'll have to download directly from Canon.